Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Not long now!

Well it's January.. hang on, the end of January. This summer is going too fast!! I'm still working at Sealife right up until the end of March. I've cut it back to three days, cos it was just adding up to being a bit too sleep-depriving for my liking, plus a number of other reasons too.. Especially when we were doing two tours a day - there were days when I had to leave home at 7 and get home at about 8. That just smells. So I'm back to three days!

Most of my trip overseas is sorted out, in terms of booking airfares and accommodation, and working out the whole itinerary. The second half of the 2 month trip is going to be full on, I'm talking spending only 2 or 3 nights in some cities, then moving on! It is a holiday, but it's going to be quite tiring in parts. And sleeping in dorms with lots of other people.. I'm someone who needs space occassionally! So, for the first half of the trip, I'm trying to spend more time in each place. I'm spending about a week with a friend in Denmark. Then, unbelievably, I have a spare week to do something with! It'll be after I leave Copenhagen, and before I make my way to Berlin. I want to stay in the one place for a week. I was thinking southern Sweden, or the northern-most tip of Denmark, a place called Skagen. Not sure?

Adrian leaves for South America on the 9th April, when he flies from Hobart to Sydney. I'm flying this part with him (well on a separate plane, but up to Sydney on the same day), so I can see him off on the 10th when he flies to Santiago. I fly out 8 days later on the 17th April, from Hobart to Sydney. Leesa (my sister, who has now moved to Wangaratta, Victoria) is coming up to Sydney to see me off.

The first part of Adrian's trip is to spend 4 months in Boliva, working with IOU (International Orphanage Union). It's hard to get a picture of what he'll be doing because it's hard for even him to know before he gets there. But he'll be an intern, and this blog iouinterns.blogspot.com is written by interns! So I found it gave a really good picture what goes on at the orphanages and what the interns get up to. It seems like there's lots of 1) playing with the kids, 2) helping with building projects and 3) tutoring, talking with, and more playing with the kids! I reckon those little kids would grow up to be such interesting people - hopefully as Christians, who are so blessed in life compared to the ones who grow up without a Christian family. They'd have such a range of experiences - being abandoned by their parents, finding a home at the orphanage, finding a friend/parent in God, getting to know people from Australia and other countries (the interns), whilst still living in Bolivia, where they were born into far less fortunate circumstances. What a life, so different to anything we see here!

2 comments:

adrian said...

Nice blog that. I hadn't seen it before which is a bit weird considering I am the one going :|
I knew it existed but the link was broke and I had no luck searching for it. So thanks!

Nice blog.. keep up the good work Renny.

Renae said...

S'ok :)