Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Across the Universe

I saw this awhile ago at the State and meant to post about it when it was fresh in my memory. So instead of a well-structured, well-thought out review*, here's what I believe made it an awesome movie:

The music! An all Beatles soundtrack. The main characters were Jude and Lucy, so you can guess at least 2 of the songs. But the classics like Strawberry Fields Forever and Across the Universe were brilliantly remade. They stayed quite true to the originals, but illustrated their meaning in the visuals of the movie. It was set in the 60s part of the Vietnam War. It seemed (ok so Adrian said this but I agreed with him..!) that they were, in the movie, trying to illustrate the real inspiration for each song but still in a really creative and often 'visually stunning' way. So in that respect, they stayed quite true to the possible original meaning of the song but also added to how much of their meaning (for the most part pretty bizarre) you were able to understand. The visuals for Strawberry Fields Forever were especially good, and very telling.

That's all for now. Make sure you see it! Or you can look it up on www.youtube.com for a preview. Find the music on www.songza.com..

*I'm tired.. I just got out of bed.

1 comment:

BSJ-rom said...

yeah, it was about time for another post...

Anyway, I have nothing to add to your review because I haven't seen the movie, and my Beatle knowledge is very limited.