Friday, August 10, 2007

My technological advances!

Up until a month or two ago I had a clunky old computer with a big heavy monitor sitting on this wobbly little desk in the loungeroom. I'm not much of a nerd, so these things just didn't bother me. But a month or two ago I got an LCD screen and relocated the computer to a proper desk in my room. I also was given an optical mouse (for free!) to replace my old roller one which was so broken it required a huge effort to get the cursor from the top of the screen to the Start button. And NOW, as of yesterday, we have broadband! This is very exciting. So I downloaded Skype and with much convincing from Adrian changed to Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. (It's so much better.. I didn't want it to begin with cos I'd used it on the Macs at uni and those things are so hard to use, but it really knows how to do so much more than Internet Explorer). So there you have it. LCD monitor, optical mouse, broadband, Skype and Firefox, and didn't pay that much for any of them, except the monitor. I sound like a nerd, but really I'm not! Just excited to be leaving the stone age :)

14 comments:

BSJ-rom said...

Is it nerds or geeks that have no social skills? I can never remember...

I got a new laptop from with some federal funding... it's like a mobile phone, just an even clunkier ball and chain (slight upgrade from the 486 laptop I'd inherited from dad).

I hope you've lined up counselling for your imminent internet addiction.

Renae said...

I believe nerds are people who know lots about computers but can still be cool. Geeks are a bit more socially abnormal. Isn't a 486 very very old? As in early 90s? No internet addiction thus far. I'm sticking with blogs and email, not youtube and ebay! I do like Skype though.

BSJ-rom said...

Yeah 486 is old - like black and white screen old. And a very very old version of Microsoft Word. It did have Windows 95! This new machine is far more slick.

Can't say I've ever tried Skype. It's embarrassing - mum and dad have used it, but I haven't. The oldies are overtaking. My sister uses it though...

Anyway, better start psyching myself up to skirm!

Are nerds and geeks only applicable to computer stuff?

Renae said...

Yeah I think so. Never heard of a car nerd or a football geek!

S4JC said...

NAr if you were talking like a nerd, you would be talking about the speed of ADSL, the Ping for online gaming, the respounce time of the mouse. LOL Good to see some ones talked some sense into you any wya.

mike said...

Huzzah. So proud of you for going to Firefox. Sooooo much better. Now you can customise with the Bible toolbar, add extra search engines. You'll be a nerd in no time.

Oh and get facebook

adrian said...

Oh heck yes I'd recommend firefox to everyone.

Nerds digs girls who dig computers, almost as much as they dig algorithms!

i wonder what you'll buy next!

Renae said...

Well Mark, I think I have spoken about the speed of ADSL before, but I don't know what the "Ping" is and I think my mouse's response time is good cos at least it moves the little arrow across the screen unlike my last one which was very jolty. So nah I'm not a nerd just yet!

Mike: I do not know what this Facebook thing is that everyone is talking about but I'm gonna resist it, just like I never got into myspace!

Adrian: Would we say you're a nerd?

S4JC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
S4JC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
S4JC said...

LOL Adrian: has not seemed to reply to your coment, I hardly know the guy so I can not comment. His blog seems rather good though :-)

I have just bookmarked his blog will not worry about creating a acount to leave messages for him. HEHEHEHEHEHE so much more fun for me to leave messages here for u to pass on.

By the way this is me MarkAnt.... Just changed a few things in the acount.

Astrid said...

well done I wiah I could update my computer it's very slow and the display driver keeps crashing- regardless of me downloading the updated driver. (gee that gives away my nerdyness - but who isn't these days)

Renae said...

Astrid!!! You have a blog.. but you don't write on it. Oh well, you're halfway there! ;) hehe.. whatcha been up to? I wonder if we're ever gonna get around to catching up on the weekend..

mike said...

You must get facebook. Facebook is for the people who hate myspace (like me) and thus it is the thing for you as you also hate myspace.