Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Europe


I wasn't actually going to bother writing about this on here, but I was talking to some friends about it last night and they actually had lots of travel tips to give, so maybe I will! At the moment the plans are (if God wills it of course!) to go to Europe next year, about May. I'm finishing my degree this year and I'm aiming to spend the summer and 2008 building up the industry experience that I don't really have, especially for someone studying tourism. I haven't traveled overseas before so I know I'm gonna come back and wish I'd done several things differently, but hey, that's the point of the first trip. And after a month or two at most in Europe I'll try to get seasonal work for the rest of the year in the area that I'm particularly interested in (marine ecotourism). Hopefully by 2009 I'll be equipped for a permanent graduate job, having finally traveled and having had some variety of experience.

Here are the places I'd like to go: Denmark first, starting at Copenhagen, then to an island called Bornholm, then Esbjerg in the holiday region. I have a friend in Denmark I can stay with. After this I'd be on my own. Busabout have these things they call "loops" and I'd like to do the northern one. It does a loop of these cities, but you do it all in your own time and independently: Berlin, Dresden (Germany), Prague, Cesky Krumlov (Czech Republic), Vienna, Salzburg (Austria), Munich, Stuttgart (Germany), Paris (France.. duh), Bruges (Belgium) and Amsterdam (Netherlands). It's still very much in the planning stage.

Images: Vienna, Prague, Amsterdam.

6 comments:

adrian said...

What an adventure! Those images are very cool also.
It seems pretty likely that you'll meet up with people heading the same direction on the busabout, and change your paths to travel together! So you won't be alone the whole time..!

BSJ-rom said...

That's a great career path: I have to go on holidays to get experience. The professional development requirements are also sounding quite pleasant!

What does Cesky Krumlov mean? It's a pretty funky sounding place name.

Renae said...

Yeah the images are pretty cool I know. Mine won't look so good! Maybe I'll just print images of Google Images and say I took them? Hopefully I won't meet up with the same people ALL the time, cos it might get a bit like a tour! But it could be good in case it's lonely. And yeah tourism is good that way!! I don't know what Cesky Krumlov means, maybe you could have a guess.

BSJ-rom said...

Well I'm just on my way to the beach now... I'm think Czech snow and kind of crusty - just like Kingston Beach. Crusty and Cold...

I'll check Wikipedia some time.

BSJ-rom said...

You'll be pleased to know that Cesky Krumlov appears to bear no similarity whatsoever to Kingston Beach.

The name comes from the German for "Crooked Meadow".

It looks very picturesque and they filmed Hostel there as well as the opening sequence of The Illusionist.

But it is in the Czech Republic, so I'm pretty sure winter would be on the chilly side, but May should be quite delightful.

Renae said...

Cool, thanks!